Director of Manufacturing (Kapolei, HI)
TruTag Technologies is an emerging technology company rapidly moving to commercialize an optical microtaggant product identification system; see http://trutags.com for details.
We are looking for a Director of Manufacturing to lead the manufacturing effort of proprietary microtaggant material at TruTag’s Kapolei-based manufacturing facility. This exempt-employee position will report to the SVP of Materials Manufacturing.
The Director of Manufacturing is responsible for managing all manufacturing operations to ensure maximum productivity. The successful candidate will have the key skills to manage and grow a manufacturing team producing high-quality products in a fast-paced, cGMP environment. The Director of Manufacturing will continuously work to improve manufacturing processes using Lean Manufacturing concepts in conjunction with Six Sigma Principles while balancing production requirements with company and employee needs. Additionally, this position will work closely with all Quality, Engineering and Facility departments to foster teamwork while increasing productivity and profitability.
- Direct activities of production management to meet prescribed manufacturing objectives.
- Ensure all employees in the facility adhere to creating a safe and ergonomic workplace by following all corporate safety guidelines and protocol.
- Monitor labor, materials, and overhead expenses for Manufacturing Operations department to identify trends and develop improvement plans to increase productivity, profitability, on time performance, and employee morale.
- Maintain corporate disciplines, company policies and procedures to create a productive, organized, clean, and safe environment.
- Drive and sustain improvement initiatives focused on improving processes to attain increased throughput and quality utilizing Lean, Just-In-Time, Theory of Constraints and Six Sigma Principles.
- Serve as a mentor to employees by creating a work environment characterized by a free exchange of ideas, teaching and learning from each other.
- Implement suggestions that improve or change processes in support of the company’s growth objectives.
- Assist in identifying and implementing industry wide “Best Practices.”
- Analyze existing and new products in development to identify improvement opportunities.
- Fully utilize the support of all departments to meet customer requirements.
- Identify and present ideas/suggestions that support cost reductions while assuring quality & on-time products that meet our customers’ needs.
- Make employment decisions and/or recommendations on hiring, improvement plans, transfers, promotions, corrective actions, terminations, pay adjustments, etc.
- Coordinate and manage the work of employees by directing members of the team to meet the area’s goals. Audit regularly to ensure standard operating procedures are being adhered to.
- Manage employee performance and assist employees in making improvements to their performance through coaching, mentoring, and administering performance reviews. Recommend, plan and/or implement employee training and skill development activities.
- Audit, maintain and ensure employee time-keeping and absentee records are accurate.
- Communicate company and departmental issues and goals and facilitate employee growth and development through weekly team meetings, regular individual employee meetings, coaching, training, and company-offered learning opportunities.
- Manage resources to optimize equipment, facilities, employees, methods, and materials.
- Demonstrate the Company’s Core and Growth Values in the performance of all job functions.
- Complete other assignments and special projects as requested.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- MRP or equivalent Material Requirements Planning software
- Manufacturing Execution System software
- Statistical Process Control
- Excellent decision-making and follow through skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Interpersonal skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Conflict management and resolution
- Prioritize multiple directives within changing work demands
- Effective time management and organizational skills
- Work independently as well as in a team environment
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Maintain confidentiality
- Working knowledge of Continuous Improvement (Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, Theory of Constraints, Just-In-Time, etc.)
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously within established time constraints
- Perform under strong demands in a fast-paced environment
- Display empathy, understanding and patience with employees and external customers
- Respond professionally in situations with difficult employee/vendor/customer issues or inquiries
Education / Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Manufacturing or Operations Management or equivalent work experience, required
- 10+ years’ experience in manufacturing and operations, preferably at least partly in a cGMP environment
- Proven Leadership experience in a manufacturing environment, with expertise in full Operations Management including experience in Production, Maintenance, Distribution, Quality Control, Production Scheduling.
- Demonstrated leadership in driving change throughout an organization.
- Strong background in lean manufacturing, with experience in leading initiatives and implementing principals into manufacturing processes.
- Proven experience in planning and organizing work and processes, ability to direct multiple projects and meet deadlines.
- Financial acumen for planning and managing operations
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Travel required: Minimal
TruTag is committed to a safe work environment. Successful candidates will be required to complete TruTag’s rigorous safety training program and demonstrate understanding of the material presented prior to engaging in laboratory or manufacturing activities.
TruTag has an established environmental, health and safety program that meets or exceeds all applicable federal, state and local laws, regulations, and requirements to which TruTag subscribes, while executing our mission. Our operations are guided by a safety and environmental policy that strives to provide a workplace free of serious, recognized hazards and we comply with these standards issued by OSHA and EPA. Compliance with environmental, health, and safety standards is a key ingredient in the training and performance reviews of all personnel.
Must be authorized to work in the United States.